On Giants' Shoulders

Friday, January 27, 2006

On Giants Shoulders

In everyone's life there are people who are the giants whose shoulders we stand on. They are the people who showed us how to do things, who dared to be the Daniel Boone who started down a particular path that we have taken further. Some of them are people we actually know like our parents, grandparents, pastors, teachers, friends. Some of them are the authors of books whom while we've never met them in person have become integral to who we are.

I'd like to start my list of giants with my Grammy Lyon. She was the one who taught me how to knead bread. Grammy never made anything, but white bread or graham bread. She never made challah, or Italian bread, or French bread she never did a spinach wreath or made pretzels. She only made ordinary white bread, once in awhile graham bread, and for holidays pan rolls. However, all those fancy kinds of bread I make need to be kneaded and I learned to knead in Grammy's pantry. Everytime I knead bread I remember the smell of the pantry and the sound that Grammy's bread made as she turned it to knead it. Kneading bread is just one way that I stand on the shoulders of this giant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home