On Giants' Shoulders

Friday, August 17, 2007

Well She Did It!

My daughter headed off for a bridal shower last night having finished the whole outfit she's supposed to wear to the wedding on Saturday. That's not too bad for someone who hadn't even purchased the material for the dress until Monday midday. She sewed a dress, knitted a shrug, and even made her own necklace and earrings. The whole outfit looked like it came from some fancy boutique and it was far nicer than anything she could find in any stores around here. Here I figured she'd still be knitting away on the shrug tomorrow...

While she hemmed I spun Dorset yarn. I am almost finished with spinning the yarn for a sweater for my son. It's been a much longer project than Abby's dress, and in fact if I'd spent all the hours spinning that she did sewing, knitting, beading, I still couldn't have done it all. Double ply relatively fine yarn simply takes a lot of time. The good news is that shortly I'll be able to put yarn in a dye pot and then think about the actual knitting. Only think about, however, because no pattern has been decided upon by the recipient. So once I finish this yarn I can go back to the thick and thin bulky I need for a knitting project for me. Of course I could go work on the skirt I cut out for myself several weeks ago... If I can find it that is. Our computer room/sewing room is in a confusing state since the guys have been hard at work getting DSL put in this week. Abby (fortunately for her) sews in her own room, I don't have that luxury which is one reason I've been spinning, not sewing. Of course this week she was using my machine which meant I couldn't.

3 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Blogger Karen Edmisten said...

Wow! You know I'm not kidding when I say I'm seriously impressed. I'm still at the scarves and socks stage of knitting, and the sewing, well .... I can do hems. :-)

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Liz said...

I didn't get to the socks stage of knitting until after I already was doing sweaters (my mother had made me fear turning a heel). I'm nowhere near the seamstress my daughter is (I struggle to put in zippers), but I don't mind hemming and someone I know finds hemming to be the worst part of the project (except perhaps the cutting out - which I also don't mind). You may surprise yourself at sewing one day as well, but one thing at a time. Those Jackie Fee sweaters really are easy. It's mostly endless rounds of knit stitches until you get to the yoke and by that time you're so close to done and bored enough with endless rounds of knit stitches that you welcome a little interesting shaping and purling. Of course if you're like me those endless rounds of knit stitches are also very relaxing.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Karen Edmisten said...

Liz, I should correct your misconception that I'm doing real socks ... mine are more like tubes.
:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home