On Giants' Shoulders

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The link below is to a video that has a narrative in French (which I can understand about every 5th word of), but the video itself tells a real story of lace knitting.  I am simply stunned that these women (and even young girls) can knit lace that fast out of yarn that's much finer than what I'm currently using.  If you're a spinner you'll also be amazed at the speed with which they spin, but it's the knitting speed that amazes me.  The young girls who are just learning knit at about the speed that I do when knitting lace.  The older women knit at a speed I can never approach, not even when simply knitting plain stockinette stitch on socks (and I used to think I was reasonably fast).  Sigh...

2 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Woah! I'm not a spinner, but the spinning was crazy! The thread is so fine it looks like spiderweb!

I'm thinking of those girls learning to knit, and I'm reassessing what my kids should be able to do around the house...

I have to show the video to my girls!:)

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Liz said...

My daughter learned to both spin and knit, but she couldn't spin that fine a thread. I don't think she can knit as fast as those ladies either, but she's a pretty accomplished knitter.

I actually think I could spin nearly that fine if I had the right kind of fleece. I can get pretty fine with Dorset fleece on my spinning wheel, but not that fine. You can't spin that fine unless you've got the right sort of fiber.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home