On Giants' Shoulders

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sweater Finished, but Do I like It?

The sweater is finished, got waylaid by necessary sock knitting, and some personal glitches, but it's now done (well except for a few ends that need to be woven in, but which I'm sort of waiting for Green Mt. Fiber's finishing class to do properly). Now I'm doing my post project assessment.  I don't know if I like the ties, I think I might prefer a button closure.  The length is certainly attractive enough, but it's a bit shorter than I usually wear.  I'm still not sure about the length of the sleeves (although I've already lengthened them once).  I think perhaps it's that these sleeves don't have ribbing at the wrist so they slide up pretty easily when you're moving around.   I don't really want them a lot longer because they'll get in the way when I'm doing things like cooking, but they sort of feel funny when I stretch out my arms

When I began the project, I thought I'd probably knit this one again.  I might, if I can figure out how to do it with a button closure, and perhaps modify the sleeves a bit.  It's Stephanie Pearl-Mc Fee's favorite sweater and she says she wears it untied, but I'm not sure how.  The longer of the two ties would be a total nuisance if it weren't tied.

On the plus side, it fits nicely, the color's great.  The yarn is beautifully soft, and it's going to make a nice warm sweater to wear with either jeans or a skirt.  It's actually more like a pullover than a cardigan and perhaps what I really was looking for was a true cardigan.  However, another sort of pullover is fine for now.

I'm trying to decide whether to spend today: a.knitting socks b. repairing the toes in last winter's socks c. spinning yarn for another sweater d. figuring out what I'm going to knit first for my daughter's next baby (whom we just found out is a boy).  I definitely can't do much baby knitting (well I do have two skeins of DK weight yarn in yellow --- so I could start something) until I either order or get to the store to buy some blue yarn.  At the moment, I'm carless because the brake line in the car broke yesterday, so whatever I do today, I have to do at home.

Right now, I'm headed downstairs to make some cocoa because my house is freezing. However, with the new sweater, at least my arms are warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home