On Giants' Shoulders

Friday, February 17, 2006

Purple Sweater Update

I now have only 18 rows of decreasing left to do. The rows continue to get shorter and shorter. That's the good news. The bad news is I'm running very short on yarn. I think I have enough to finish the decreases (I'm fairly sure, in fact), but I don't know that I have enough to finish the neckline, cuffs, and hem. I'm thinking we're looking at contrasting edges here, folks. I could spin up some more yarn and dye it. Of course I'd have no guarantee that it would match the sweater yarn, but at least I'd have yarn that was a close match for the edges. The hitch there is, I'd actually have to stop knitting in order to spin the yarn. Also since I currently have Dorset wool on the spindle I'd have to finish the spindle of Dorset and ply that before I'd have empty spindles to spin the Romney. SIGH! I can't believe I'm running out of yarn! I weighed it before I started, I thought I had more than enough. I was sure I'd overestimated yarn amounts this time. This is a repeating problem. This is why the yoke of Abby's sweater had two colors in it. This is why my teal blue sweater has a low u neck. This is why there's never a lot of extra yarn to mend holes. I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with the estimated yarn amounts in the book. Or maybe it's just that I get so eager to get started with the sweater that I hate to take the time to spin just one extra skein. Unfortunately, here I am AGAIN coming down to the wire with questions as to whether I'm going to run out or not. WHINE,WHINE, WHINE. Of course I still haven't solved the problem of the lighter than the rest of the sweater middle section.

I think I've just figured out what an excellent purgatory for me would be. Purple sweaters, one after another, with never quite enough yarn to finish with ease.

1 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

This made me smile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home