On Giants' Shoulders

Monday, January 14, 2008

What Does A Teacher Do?

What does a teacher do when her class of literature students requests doing the second volume of Dante's Divine Comedy instead of moving on to Walter Wangerin's The Book of the Dun Cow? Does one stick with the plan, or go with the flow?

Well let's just say I'll never discourage kids who want to read Dante.

Sorry, Walter, your book is just going to have to wait!

Even when I'm teaching other people's kids I've got a bit of the unschooler in me.

1 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I am so glad you posted about this because I believe we classroom teachers can learn much from homeschool moms in light of the way that homeschool moms allow for student generated curriculum...I agreed to let my 7th graders do the sequel to a book (The Breadwinner) recently because the book is relevant to current world events (Afghanistan) and I am thrilled that they are begging to read ANYTHING!! Yes, it will crunch our time a bit, but who cares?
I say if they want to learn about it...we make it happen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home