On Giants' Shoulders

Friday, May 21, 2010

Revisiting An Old Friend

Thinking of babies and books reminds me of a cherished book of my own. As a young mom I found a book written by a serious Protestant Christian, Gladys Hunt, called Honey For A Child's Heart. It not only gave solid suggestions for books to read to your children at various ages, it also outlined a philosophy of reading aloud that underscored what I did with my children from the very earliest years. I didn't do everything exactly as she said, we adapted, but in very real ways this book influenced how I read to my children, and what I read to my children. I can't give enough credit to her for the number of fine selections I would never have discovered if it hadn't been for her. For awhile this book was one of my favorite things to give to young mom's as a baby shower gift (I know, weird...).

So now I'm recommending it to you. If you're Catholic, you'll find places you disagree with her theologically, but if you can get by that and simply catch the enthusiasm she has for children and books and children and books together you'll be well served. A number of other people have written books about books, and I actually own several of them (Michael O'Brian's, Jim Trelease's, Elizabeh Wilson's, Laura Berkwith's, Madeleine L'Engle's) and yet none of them have come close to being the guide to literature that Gladys Hunt's was for me. Check it out. I believe it's still in print, but if it isn't it's worth looking for a used copy.

3 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

I just wanted you to know that I really enjoy reading your blog. I don't comment often, but I find your perspective really helpful. I am in the middle of home schooling my 6 kids (12 down to 3) and it's really nice to hear from someone who did it and stayed sane!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Liz,
I got your message about the Tattler Lids. I suggest you contact them directly. Loren Stieg is the developer of the lids and she can answer your questions better than I can. The product is new to me and I've just ordered some and will be trying them soon, however all the reviews I've read have been positive. Hope this helps!

Oh, and I love Honey for A Child's Heart! It's a great resource!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Amy,

Loren actually sent me a sample of the lids and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home