On Giants' Shoulders

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Saga of the Skirt

The two hour skirt is finally nearing completion. After 2 tries I got the casing sewn. After 3 tries I got the elastic in. Now all I have to do is stitch the seam in the elastic, close up the gap where the elastic got inserted, get it pinned up, and hem it. I figure that's probably at least another hour worth of work.

When my dd was here this weekend she looked at the skirt with a little bit of disdain and asked why it took me so long to sew just a few seams. She said she'd made skirts like that with zippers in them that didn't take more than 3 hours even with the cutting out. She's right, she has. That's why she can get a pattern with just numbers off the internet, create a paper pattern, and tackle making her own pocket diapers. I did mention that she didn't get her sewing ability from me didn't I?

Not to be defeated by the sewing machine, I bought more patterns on Monday. Abby was getting material for the aforementioned pocket diapers. I got what are supposed to be (please, Lord, let them be) easy patterns for little tops, shorts, and dresses for me to make some things for LW with the leftovers from skirt material, and remnants. I keep believing that good grandmothers sew for their grandchildren, and I did make dresses, shirts, shorts for her mommy when she was little. What I could not find, and don't apparently still have is the incredibly simple dress pattern I used to make a dress for Abby when she was about that age. Of course I also can't find the knitting pattern I used to make a dress for her when she was 4 either, but I'm still searching for that one.

2 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Abby said...

Technically, it was more like incredulity than disdain. It is going to be a very pretty skirt... and my mental calculations of how long it should take didn't take into account tension problems and the like ;) It's not my fault that I was blessed with a small portion of Aunt M's sewing ability (ah, if only I could have received the fullness of that gift!). Anyway, you've knitted plenty for LW already, so don't feel bad. Dresses, skirts, and pants would still be most welcome, though.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Liz said...

I guess it just felt like disdain, because that's how it would have been if Aunt Mim had been the one expressing it. She certainly did get the fullness of the gift from both my grandmothers. I on the other hand got blessed with nothing more than stubborn optimism. Of course that's how I learned to knit in the first place. I had as hard a time learning to do that as I did to sew. Of course your innate ability is why you can easily do a provisional cast on, while the technique defeats me, although I think I've figured out a different way to do it that may be easier.

I still plan on shorts and a top for LW out of that skirt material, but given my current temperature and sore throat, probably not this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home