On Giants' Shoulders

Monday, June 14, 2010

Domestic Day

Well today was one of those at home days where I really try to accomplish something. I ran laundry and hung it out to dry. I loaded and ran the dishwasher. However, mostly I spent the day sewing. I finally finished a top for LW finished,unless of course her mommy wants to topstitch it, which would be nice, but I'm not willing to do until my sewing machine gets put in a better spot, or I get a better chair to use with it. I did do a bunch of fiddly hand sewing on it which took about an hour or so. Then I sat down with the two hour skirt to finish the hem. That took another two hours. So now I'm really not at all sure what they meant when they called it a two hour skirt since the hem alone took over 3, but maybe they've got a speedier way to do a hem than a blind hem stitch by hand.

In the midst of the sewing I had to run out(quite literally run) and rescue my laundry before the rain truly came down in torrents. I got to it before it was more than sprinkled on. Now I'm waiting for hamburg to thaw and inspiration to hit before I begin making dinner.

One thing I discovered is that while I don't love doing all parts of sewing, I don"t actually mind hemming. It's sort of like knitting in that it's a kind of mindless task. Everything is all pinned together, you aren't dealing with a machine that might suddenly yank things in a direction you don't want to go. It's just you, the fabric and a needle and thread.

Nothing terribly profound about today, just ordinary life, but somehow the very simplicity of it just makes me feel very rooted and real. It's sort of like spending time with LW, the rest of the world sort of ceases to matter and just watching her and interacting with her makes me feel very "in the momment." So much of my life I feel like I'm chasing to a meeting, doing absolutely necessary errnads etc. It's nice to be able to have a day when I can gauge my progress entirely by dried and hung up clothes and completed sewing projects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home